Cowgirl Up on LatigoLiz.com

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Jelly Batch #2

My son and I stopped at Tracy’s Roadside Produce on Tuesday. I needed to drop off my second batch of herb bundles to sell. Yes, I am really farming! Sold 3 bundles last week. Took in 5 more on Tuesday.

Little Man said wanted some berries. We had a choice between blackberries, tayberries, and golden raspberries. He picked the golden raspberries.

In reading some blogs the other day I stumbled on the Crunchy Chicken Cooks blog where she mentions a great recipe for Triple Orgasm Strawberry Jam. I decided to play with tweaking a raspberry jam/jelly recipe this time around.

My end product...Golden Raspberry Ginger Jelly. And I must say, that I am very happy with the resulting taste. The color, however, isn’t the most appetizing. Probably comes from the fact that I didn’t cook the jelly right after squeezing the juice and refrigerated it overnight in the stainless steel pot. Or maybe the ginger juice made the raspberry juice turn brown. Oh well. Next time I will try it differently.

Oh, and this is where my rosemary and other herbs currently reside. Most are in pots in front of the barn, and most are planted in composted horse manure!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

8 comments:

Flying Lily said...

Your herbs are beautiful! I've always wanted to plant a real herb garden, but our growing season is short and there is a certain laziness factor to reckon with...

Lisa said...

Ever try huckleberry? I discovered them east of Redmond last year and they make great pies, planning on trying to make them into jam this year.

Pony Girl said...

I have never eaten a golden raspberry, but they look good! Do they taste the same? I don't think your jam color looks bad....I used to love that apple butter stuff and it's brown! ;)
Good job with the herbs...looks like you have a great little little business starting up there!

LatigoLiz said...

Lily, the herbs are easy when they are in containers! You can move them! And weeding is sooo much easier, too!

Sasha, Huckleberry is on my list of things to try. Just need to finish up he currants before I start on going huckleberries and wild (NOT Himalayan) blackberry picking. Would like to try both red huckleberries and evergreen/mountain huckleberries. Taylor Mountain Forest has a good selection of creeping blackberries and the red huckleberries. I think you have to be up pretty high to find the mountain ones. Luckily I am close to the mountains here and also visit the Olympic Peninsula frequently. I despise Himalayan blackberries and that is what most people around here thing of as “wild.”

LatigoLiz said...

PonyGirl, yes, the colden ones taste about the same. Of course some red raspberry species are sweeter than others. I think this golden one was a little on the tart side, but not too bad. Tracy’s Roadside Produce gets their berries from Sterino Farms in Fife, WA.

Amanda said...

I love your herb garden Liz!!! Very cool.

Amanda said...

Hey Liz come over to my site and check out the saddle I am having made. Tell me what you think.

Leah Fry said...

Ginger is my absolute favorite flavor, so I 'll bet it's wonderful!