Cowgirl Up on LatigoLiz.com

Sunday, October 5, 2008

Goat Update

It’s been a few weeks since we brought Pepper and Ginger home. And it’s been at least a week since I have posted any pictures or video. What they say is true about goats not liking the rain. They have been staying in their dry stall and only venturing out into the pen occasionally between showers. It has been a few days since they got their ration of blackberry cuttings, too. It was dry enough for me to cut them a nice big wheelbarrow load this morning. And they are really enjoying their scritching sessions with people now. They both can be rather insistent about it actually! Ginger isn’t too sure about me putting a camera right up in her face, but Pepper could care less!

Their coats are starting to feel nice and soft, especially Pepper. I have added a little bit of black oil sunflower seed to their diet to help with the itchy skin. If that doesn’t do the trick then I will start adding a touch of corn oil in a few weeks. Their body condition has improved, but they still don’t have as much muscle as I would like. Time to start working on the halter-breaking and going for walks. We also need to expand their paddock area so they have more room to move, or goat-proof a small pasture area for turnout during the day.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

Cactus Jack Splash said...

They have sure gotten friendly. They are also very cute.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Awwwww! You are loved by goats :)

~Lisa

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

Aw, so cute. I can't wait to get some goats someday but I'm not rushing it. I've been told they're a handful, lol.

www.GreenerPastures--ACityGirlGoesCountry.blogspot.com

The Jillybean said...

I love goats...my daughter used to show them. They are very social creatures, and once they got acclimated to our area we would just turn them loose if we were going to be outside, they never wandered off too far, they always seemed to prefer to be around us humans.